Search This Blog

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Uber Stylish, Ultra Easy DIY Chalkboards



I've been wanting to make a chalkboard for quite a while now. The warmth, coziness and personalized feeling that these chalkboards exude is so very appealing to me. Chalkboards are also practical and perfect for displaying dinner menus, chore list, messages, honey-do's and may other functional purposes.  But wait......there's more! They can also be decorative, modern and chic!

Yesterday, I found the perfect space in my kitchen for my own chalkboard. Now, all I have to do is find the right frame.....which for me would be an ornate French frame or a shabby chic Venetian frame.  As soon as I find my frame, it's on! 

HOW EASY IS IT...

In addition to being functional, the chalkboard is also inexpensive and very easy to make.  All you need is:

Chalkboard paint: chalk spray $5.00 or chalk paint $12.00

Primer

Paint brush  (use only if you have the paint instead of the spray)

A picture frame with a smooth solid surface to apply the paint to

You can use the backboard that comes with the picture frame if its solid/sturdy enough.  You can also cut a piece of poster board, particle board or thin ply wood to fit the frame.   Keep the picture or back board that came with the frame as a template to cut the chalkboard from.


Next -

1. Remove the glass from the frame carefully 

2. Prepare the board of your choice for painting with primer

2. Spray or paint the surface (2 to 3 coats, allowing the paint to dry between each coat)

3.  Let the surface dry completely and then put it into the frame.


3.  Hang and enjoy!  

Tip:
Visit thrift stores and flea markets for interesting frames.  You'll be surprised at what is available to you. And the prices will blow your mind....,.in a good way! Remember it's the frame you want, so if you dislike the Art but like the frame, and the price is right.   Buy it.









Photo from HGTV web site


Photo from Country Living Magazine


Image from Pottery Barn


Photo from Houzz.com




Here are links to chalkboard crafts that are beautiful, fun, and easy to do.  Enjoy and let me know if you decide to try this.  I would love to see how it turned out.  As soon as I find a frame I really like, I will be posting pictures of my chalkboard here.  Fingers crossed.

Cherio!



1 comment:

Alicia@ Mommy Delicious said...

I really like this project. I'm gonna save this page so that I can work on it this summer. My son will LOVE a chalkbord in our house!