Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Drab To Fab - Old Dresser Makeover

Top pic: pennypincherfashion  Bottom pic: designsponge

Maybe it's my penchant to pull for the underdog or maybe I just like the challenge of fixing broken things. ....whatever it is .....it makes me gravitate to old dressers like a moth to a flame.  I mean seriously.  The more messed up the better, I aint scared!  My only criteria is, the piece has to have good bones or a solid structure. Once I have a good base to work from, the sky is the limit.

Here are a few ways to put new life into old beat up dressers. 

PAINT IT!
As a artist, whenever I get a chance to use my creativity for something practical it makes me all sorts of happy.  So, when I saw this gorgeous redone dresser by go.tipjunkie I just knew I had make one of my own.  It is hand painted, the dresser was painted white then the branches was added in acrylic.  The birds however were cut out images that was decoupaged unto the dresser. How smart is that...hand painted furniture like this cost thousands.



I adore the color on this piece from migonishome So fresh, romantic and glamorous.  All that from a can of paint.  


Who wouldn't want a piece like this, the color is delicious!


And check out this stunning piece, could you believe it once looked like the picture below? 
Dark brown paint and metal studs from Walmart transformed this ugly duckling into a swan. 
 A-m-a-z-i-n-g.


WALLPAPER IT!



By far the easiest technique to do, wall paper is instant gratification.  Find a tutorial here on this process.




ADD SOME BLING!


In the decorating world, mirrors and crystal chandeliers = BLING.  If you are a little more adventurous like I am, add mirrors to your dresser.  Just measure and have them cut for you.  After that, all you have to do is glue them on and have your husband/hubby or some one handy to drill holes for your draw pulls......and viola!  Not bad for a piece of furniture that you are gonna love! It sure beats spending $2,000 on a ready made mirrored dresser.  This one looks fantastic for less than $50.00.  Cha- ching!

Well, there you have it.  I hope this post makes you think twice before you toss that old dresser to the curb.  It may be a diamond in the rough.

Cherio!

5 comments:

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Retouching can be beautiful. It's hard for me to let of old furniture.

momto8 said...

fabulous ideas!!! wow!!!

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Today I'm finally acknowledging the Versatile Blog Award you gave me. Thank you soooo much.

Jessica said...

Yours looks the best! So pretty! You are inspiring me!

Tonya Joyner said...

Omg...love it!!