Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

An Unconventional Love Story


When I said yes to my husband's marriage proposal, I did not have any grandiose ideas about having a big wedding or even a reception. There was only one thing I had to have, and that was a nice ring. A wedding ring to me is sacred and it represents the everlasting love between a husband and wife. Hopefully. But in addition to that, my wedding ring is what I will wear everyday "till death do us part"...... so I wanted one that I really really liked. Well because I am such a nit pickerI mean selective shopper, I ended up designing the rings myself and having them custom made.  Our jeweler did a wonderful job and I fell head over heels in love with my ring at first sight.

Then the worst thing happened two years later...I lost my ring!

I had been hiding this little dark secret from my husband for three months.  I just couldn't bear to tell him I had lost it, after all it had cost him a small fortune.  To make matters worse, I knew exactly where I had lost it and there was no hope of ever retrieving it.  You see, I had lost it in the ocean. Way out in the sea where Jaws and his crew hang out......probably.  It was only a matter of time before my husband figured out the real reason why I had not been wearing my ring and I was beside myself......and out of valid excuses.

Well, the very next day my mom and brother came for a visit and I got this sudden urge to go to the beach and collect shells.  I love beach combing so why not?  My brother on the other hand could care less and refused to go with me. For some strange reason though, my mother and I relentlessly begged him to go with us until he got sick of us and gave in.  (To this day I find this quite strange since it is out of character on both sides.)  When we got to the beach the tide was low, so low you could walk out about a quarter of a mile on the sand banks which my brother did by himself.  Mom and I stayed closer to shore picking up beach goodies, there was so much beautiful shells to choose from that day.

getty images

 All of a sudden, my brother who was out so far he looked relatively smaller, starting yelling.  My mother and I rushed to see what was wrong.  He seemed quite excited, he was waving frantically at us and jumping around. When we got within earshot of him, he was grinning ear to ear.  "I found something he said."  What is it?, I asked eager to see.  He slowly opened his hand and there nestled in his palm was my ring.  The one I had lost three months ago in the ocean.  My mom recognized it instantly and asked me "Wan, isn't that your ring?"  All I could do was gulp.

Turns out my ring somehow serendipitously reappeared out of the abyss after three months in strong sea currents and miles of shifting sand. My brother finding it equates to finding a needle in a hay stack. He said he saw a small beam of light emanating from the sand out of the corner of his eye.  Those were his exact words. Trust me, I am still in awe of this, I mean what?!!!  That beach is huge, plus the ring was buried under 15-25 feet of ocean for months.  What are the chances....and my brother had almost stayed at home too. All the planets had to be aligned just right for this to have happened, and they had. To this day, I just call it what it was. A miracle. My husband and I love each other so very much and our rings are a symbol of that love.  Maybe that is why it found it's way back to me.  Back to us. ...well that is what I believe anyway.

Since this incident, I wish I could tell you I never lost it again but I did lose it once after that nine years later.  And you know what, it found me again under very strange/unlikely circumstances. Call me crazy but in my sixteen years of marriage, because of the times I lost my ring, it is even more precious to me.  It is so true that you never realize the value of something until you lose it.....even if only temporarily.  I realize now that it is not the cost of the ring that matters so much to me but the cause of the ring.  It's all about love. And so lovelies, today on Valentine's day I wish you love.

Cherio!



12 comments:

lauradora said...

What an incredible story.

Meanqueen said...

Amazing story. Perhaps time to get the ring altered so it wont slip off your finger.

Kajal said...

Awesome post.

Veronica Lee said...

I love your story! I agree with Meanqueen - looks like you have to resize your ring so you'll never ever lose it again!!

Beauty and the Green said...

The ring was made a little bigger than my size because the jeweler was factoring the "weight gain" most married people put on. I can laugh now but how dare he?!! Anyhow, it is fine until water hits it or I lose weight then it gets real loose. Now I just take it off whenever I am doing anything with water or if I lost a few pounds but my husband is having it sized in a couple of weeks so yay! I just hope I don't put on any extra weight after it is sized, then I will have another problem, lol.

Jessica said...

Wow, what a tale! My mother lost her engagement ring in the shower...but it never came back to her unfortunately. I'm glad yours did- twice!

I'm a new follower who found you via In Love by the Beach (when she awarded you the One Lovely Blog award which I also received from her). Stop by my blog sometime if you like...looking forward to reading more!

http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/

Nekky said...

This sounds like a fairy-tale. I like stories like this because there are several physical things I believe in but people around me won't understand why I have such strong feelings about them.
Please keep that ring as safe as you can.

Pop Champagne said...

wow you lost it for 3 months by the OCEAN and got it back! that is such a miracle!!

Loressa Curiouswisdom said...

Great post! Awesome story and pic:) I have enjoyed reading and checking in:) Finally Friday Hop is open! Hope you will stop by!
Loressa
http://lifescuriouswisdom.blogspot.com

Lindsay said...

I absolutely loved this story! How amazing is that. I would have died if that happened to me...but you were so lucky enough to have the ring find it's way back to you. Beautiful!

momto8 said...

oh my goodness!! that is an incredible story!!
I guess some things are just meant to be no matter what!!

Alicia@ Mommy Delicious said...

Oh my GOODNESS! I almost cried when I read that you lost the ring in the ocean. And then I was relieved and almost cried again when I read that your brother found it. LOL. I'm happy that you found it TWICE (man... that ring must love you girl.)