Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

8 Tips To Spend Your Time Wisely


Have you ever been busy doing a whole lotta nothing?  Wait, let me clarify.  Are you face booking, internet surfing or watching the NY, New Jersey, Atlanta or Orange County housewives marathon when you have other more important things to do?  Well, read on, this one's for you!

Ahem!, and me too.

Though normally I am a stickler for time and getting things done, alas, I have found my kryptonite.   "Platinum Hits" on Bravo (and a few others that I am most embarrassed to mention.)  I also love TCM movies, HGTV and the food network channel......a lot.

 Now, there's nothing wrong at all with watching TV or having a little R&R but this should come after work.  After, all the necessary things are done.

With this in mind, I set out to organize my schedule so I can accomplish more out of my day.......without having to stay up until 2:00 am every night getting it all done. Here are the guide lines I will be following to make sure I stay on track. Notice there are only eight principles, any more than that and my eyes start to glaze over.  Well here goes!

1.  Make A To Do List And Stick To It
Write down what you hope to accomplish for the day and stick to it!  Make sure that you put the list where you can see it throughout the day and cross off each task as you complete it.  I normally put mine on stickies and stick them on my computer where I spend most of the work day, but you can use your ipad or any other medium that is comfortable for you.  Just do it!  It really is an invaluable tool.

2.  Take Control Of Long, Unexpected Phone Calls 
You shouldn't be having a three hour long conversation in the middle of running your home business or doing something else that requires your undivided attention.  Politely tell the person that you will return the call later and do so at a more appropriate time for you.

3. Plan Ahead 
Always  plan your day the night before,  If you have projects with deadlines, do not wait until the last minute to get moving!  Instead, block out time on your calendar well before the project is due.  Devote that time to that project only.  Starting early without "last minute" anxiety/pressure will allow you to concentrate entirely on doing an excellent job.

4.  Prioritize
Do the most difficult and urgent task first. There is always the temptation to do the easy jobs first, however if you are constantly thinking of the dreaded task that you have to do, it hangs over you like a dark cloud.  Think how motivated you'll feel when the task is finished and out of the way.

5.  Get Adequate Rest
The greatest factor affecting concentration is rest.  If you are not well rested your mind will be scattered and lethargic.  Avoid this by making sure you get sufficient sleep which is 7-8 hors for the average person.  Set a regular bed time for yourself and establish an evening routine that helps you to wind down before turning in.  This way you will be able to fall asleep easier and sleep soundly.

6.  Take Care Of Your Health
Maximize your ability to concentrate by eating light and healthy meals.  You'll find that you need far less food than you think.  If you run out of energy, keep some healthy snacks on hand to give yourself a quick boost.  In addition to this, exercise regularly so that you are in peak condition.  This could be as simple as walking your dog every day.  A healthy body makes you look good and feel good.......and who wouldn't want that?

7.  Be honest with yourself 
Ask yourself- "Is what I'm doing now getting me to where I want to get to?"  If the answer is "no," change what you're doing.

8.  Make Time For Fun And Relaxation
Make time every day no matter how small to relax.  This gives the mind and body time to be rejuvenated.  Taking time to do something you enjoy makes you calmer, happier and more fulfilled.  Whether it's crafts, reading, gardening, a day at the beach with your family, or a night out on the town with your friends,  enjoy your life.  Have fun!!!


So there you have it, a very simple but powerful plan to kick things into high gear!  I am energized and ready to go, hope you are too! 

Cherio!

9 comments:

Julia said...

This is such a great list and comes at a perfect time for me. I have been feeling a little out of balance and this is just the ticket I needed. Off to make my to do list. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tiff said...

Great tips!

Beauty and the Green said...

Am glad you found this helpful, its really hard keeping everything in balance sometimes but this time I am going to make sure i stick to my plan. Lol, no more Bravo reality shows until am done working.

Sorcerer said...

great tips..
thank you

WordsAndPen said...

Should I take it down to remind myself? I should be.lols

Thanks for these.


Smiles from,

Andy at wordsandpen.com

jillconyers said...

Hi from a new follower! Visiting from MBC. Great tips. Based on your list I'm doing fine except for the sleeping part. Definitely need more sleep! Have a great day!

Blog: Life As I See It [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

FB: Life As I See It [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

Alicia@ Mommy Delicious said...

So true... I find that once I make time for fun and relaxation, it makes it easier for me to "get through" all the other things. Since college I've adopted the motto, "work hard to play hard." And believe me, this motto has worked wonders thus far.

Julia said...

Thanks for stopping by!! I am recently getting into make up and fashion (now I have an excuse to get a new wardrobe- of maternity clothes!) so I look forward to your environmental-conscious tips :o)

Amy said...

Totally guilty of spending a Saturday watching the Real Housewives marathon!so I sure can use the info in this post. Haha! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Following now : )
Amy