Search This Blog

Thursday, August 9, 2012

One Good Deed And Some Vintage Jewelry



When I was a little girl I remember getting one of the best gifts I have ever received from a woman who was notorious for being a grouch.  For some reason she gave a starry eyed little girl a box of vintage jewelry.  Some of them were broken but I recall being in awe of the sparkle and shine of the beads...I had died and gone to heaven.  Needless to say I was hooked ever since.

Now that I am grown, I have an even greater appreciation for vintage jewelry. I can fully appreciate the stellar craftsmanship, the fearless color palettes and unrestrained imagination that went into each piece. I just love finding one of a kind pieces that make me gasp...and trust me, I find them pretty often because I collect them. One of the things I do though, is to research and find out about the various designers in the 1930's and beyond.  It has been so very informative and inspiring to me as a designer.


Here are two of my favorite vintage jewelry designers that you may want to buy or collect:

Marcel Boucher - He was born in Paris, France where he designed for Cartier and later for his own company. Marcel Boucher is highly respected as the most imaginative designer of quality costume jewelry. His bold, meticulously executed designs is sought out by collectors from all walks of life including movie stars like Sarah Jessica Parker. Each piece is a "work of art".


TrifariSince the 1920s, Trifari has been one of the most respected and admired producers of costume jewelry in the United States. Trifari was Founded in the1910s by Gustavo Trifari, the Italian-immigrant son of a Napoli goldsmith, the company has designed jewelry that’s been worn by countless high-profile clients, from Mamie Eisenhower to Madonna.

Image Origin unknown

Who would have thought that one kind act from the town's grouch would bring so much joy and passion into my life for these pieces and for design as a whole...  Thanks Miss B, rest in peace.

Cherio!


5 comments:

Laura said...

What a cool story it's funny how people you think you have all figured out can surprise you.
Thanks for sharing all the lovely pieces I love shopping thrift stores for interesting and colorful vintage pieces.

Alicia said...

Just goes to show that you never know how you will impact someone else. Umm... I'm gonna need about ALL of those pieces in my life. Stat!

Stephanie N. said...

It's ALL so pretty! I wish I could just have the budget to buy a TON of the stuff... or be fortunate enough to have it gifted to me! What a great story :)

I hope you have a fabulous weekend! <3

Caribbean events said...

I agree with Laura. I have found some really unique pieces in thrift stores. I also found a really nice piece at a local garage sale.

Lindsay said...

Beautiful! I love the green one in the jewelry box.